Reading books aloud to our kids is extremely important and fun. Sometimes, however, it’s nice to have the family listen to a book. Our family especially likes to do this when we are on long car rides. I get extremely car sick if I try to read while the car is moving… so we pop in audio books and enjoy those instead.
The best way to be sure your boys will want to listen is to choose books which are interesting and have plenty of action.
Mysteries are great choices because they pretty much force your family to keep listening so that you can find out what happened. They’re also fun because the whole family can discuss what they think is happening – and you can all compete to see who can figure it out first.
We also like to look for books which are dramatized and where the parts are all played by different actors.
Not all audio books are created equal – so do your research.
On that note, here are some fun audio books that my boys have really enjoyed!
1. The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
3. Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
4. The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden
5. The Dragon of Doom by Bruce Coville (Book 1 of the Moongobble and Me series)
6. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald
7. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
8. Room One by Andrew Clements
9. Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
10. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
These audio books are super fun. Our entire family enjoyed them! If you are preparing to take a vacation this summer – or just plan to do some driving around – consider grabbing an audio book or two to take with you. They can help you to transform what could be a long, boring ride in the car into a magical journey which you will never forget! 🙂
Question: Does your family enjoy listening to audio books? Do you have any others you could recommend to the rest of us? Please leave a comment below.
And be sure to check out the other great Reading List posts from iHN bloggers at iHomeschool Network.