Age Appropriate Chore List - for Children 4 years to 5 years
You thought they were helpful before! At this age, children really start to pull their own weight around the house. You will notice
that they're able to do a more thorough job and are able to do things even more independently. See the below age appropriate chore list for
children ages 4-5:
In Their Room
- Choose clothes and get dressed/undressed.
- Make bed and clean room.
- Pick up toys and put in proper place.
- Put dirty clothes into clothes hamper.
The Rest of the House
- Brush hair.
- Brush teeth (let them attempt on their own first - you will want to supervise or at least check teeth afterward - especially back teeth!)
- Carrying and putting away groceries.
- Clean table after meals.
- Clear and set the table.
- Dust the furniture.
- Feed the pets at scheduled times.
- Hang socks, handkerchiefs, and washcloths on a low line.
- Help do the dishes (rinse items or put dishes in the dishwasher).
- Help mother prepare plates of food for the family dinner.
- Help out in cooking and preparing food - with adult supervision.
- Help set the table (put utensils, napkins, plates, glasses, and condiments from the fridge on the table).
- Help with grocery shopping and compiling a grocery list.
- Help with more difficult meal preparations (make frozen juice, crack and scramble eggs, cut with blunt knife).
- Help with younger siblings (bottle feeding, entertain while mom is out of the room, feed/dress toddler siblings).
- Hold the hand mixer to whip potatoes or mix up a cake.
- Make a simple dessert (add topping to cupcakes, pour the toppings on ice cream).
- Make own sandwich or simple breakfast and clean up.
- Polish silver.
- Pour own drink.
- Prepare cold cereal.
- Put away clean clothes (children may still struggle with folding "properly" as this is an emerging skill)
- Set out clothes for the next day
- Sharpen pencils.
- Sort laundry with supervision.
- Spread butter on sandwiches.
- Take laundry to laundry room on laundry day.
- Take out the garbage.
- Tear up lettuce for the salad.
- Wash hands (without assistance)
In the Yard
- Help clean out the car.
- Help sweep or rake outside.
- Wash and help wax the car.
- Water the garden and lawn with help.
Away from Home
- Simple help with groceries, such as: putting items in shopping cart, helping put items on the check-out conveyor, handing items to you to be put away at home.
Return from Chores for Kids - 4-5yrs to Age Appropriate Chore List
- Make thank you and birthday cards.
- Begin dialing and answering the phone.