Age Appropriate Chore List - for Children 6 years to 8 years
Children are even more helpful at this age. You'll really be able to start reaping some of the benefits of having trained your
children at this point. You will notice even more independence and ability at this age. See the below age appropriate chore list for children
In Their Room
- Clean room
- Dress on their own and choose outfit for the day.
- Hang up own clothes in the closet.
- Make bed/change sheets (without assistance)
The Rest of the House
- Care for his own minor injuries.
- Carry in the grocery sacks.
- Clean bathrooms (bathtub, sink and counters).
- Do simple ironing with supervision.
- Fold and put away laundry.
- Help hang clothes on the clothesline.
- Help make breakfast and lunch
- Increased responsibilities for younger siblings (dressing infants/toddlers, entertaining them for longer periods by reading to them/playing records, etc., helping school them).
- Keep the garbage container clean.
- Leave the bathroom in order.
- Make and pour own drink, get own condiments, etc.
- Prepare simple foods (sandwiches, salad, peel vegetables).
- Shake rugs.
- Simple help with younger siblings (changing diapers, watching him/her while mom showers, helping with bath)
- Simple meals prepared (making sandwiches for lunch, preparing drinks, fixing breakfast for mom and dad, preparing salad for dinner, peel vegetables).
- Straighten or clean out silverware drawer.
- Take care of pets.
- Take out trash.
- Train pets.
- Use the washer and dryer (sort, measure detergent, fold clean clothes and put away.)
- Vacuum, sweep and mop.
- Wash dishes with help from mommy
- Wash dog or cat.
- Water plants and flowers.
In the Yard
- Clean out inside of car.
- Gather wood for the fireplace.
- Learning the purpose and beginning usage of tools (lawn mower, hand tools, etc.) and helping with home maintenance.
- Oil and care for bike.
- Pull weeds.
- Rake leaves.
- Shovel snow.
- Sweep patio/deck area.
- Take pet for walk.
- Water the lawn.
Away from Home
- Carry own lunch money and notes back to school.
- Run errands for parents.
- Answer the telephone and begin to dial the phone.
- Pay for small purchases.
- Take phone messages.
Return from Chores for Kids - 6-8yrs to Age Appropriate Chore List