I’m sure we all would love our kids to enjoy reading. Some kids naturally take to reading and some of them don’t. Quite often, when boys claim that they don’t like to read it’s actually because they aren’t enjoying the specific books that we’re asking them to read.
Some classic books are great for boys to read. However, a book doesn’t need to be a classic for our sons to get a lot of benefit out of reading it.
There are lots of books out there which contain great moral content, exciting plots, memorable characters, and excellent life lessons.
In my opinion, it’s more important to give our boys a love of reading than it is to force them to read a list of books which have been recommended by “the experts.” If we can get them to love reading, they will be exposed to a lot more than if we have to force them to read a couple of books a year.
Here are 20 Recommended Books for Tweens that my boys have loved!:
1. The Berinfell Prophecies by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper
2. The Accidental Detectives by Sigmund Brower
3. The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black
4. The Truth Chronicles by Tim Chaffey and Joe Westbrook
5. Dragons in our Midst series by Bryan Davis
6. The Circle series by Ted Dekker
7. The Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans
8. The Genius Files by Dan Gutman
9. Redwall series by Brian Jacques
10. The Wormling Series by Jerry Jenkins and Chris Fabry
11. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
12. The Chiveis Trilogy by Bryan M. Litfin
13. The Singreale Chronicles by Dr. Calvin Miller
14. TJ and the Time Stumblers by Bill Myers
15. The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle by Bill Myers
16. Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul
17. The Cooper Kids series by Frank Peretti
18. The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson
19. The Auschwitz Escape by Joel C Rosenberg
20. The Mysterious Benedict Society series by Trenton Lee Stewart