Do you ever get the feeling that some of the information you’re teaching your kids is a waste of time? Have your kids ever asked you why they have to learn about so many things that they’ll never use later in life? If so, then you’ll be happy to hear about Apologia’s new Health and Nutrition high school level science course.
Chock full of relevant information that WILL benefit your teen to learn, this Health and Nutrition course is definitely worth checking out! I was given the opportunity to try this class for free and I was compensated for my time but I promise that I’m sharing my honest opinion with you.
Apologia products have long been the standard when it comes to preparing kids for college-level science, AP or CLEP tests, and/or pursuing scientific careers. They do a fantastic job of teaching science from a Christian worldview while making sure kids are aware of the secular scientific views as well. I’ve always appreciated how they explain how the Christian worldview is more scientifically sound while being honest about the areas where Christians may struggle to come up with explanations.
What’s So Special About this High School Health Class?
Sometimes it’s hard to get teens to understand why they need to learn so much about science if they aren’t planning to pursue a scientific career. But this Health and Fitness course is beneficial to everyone no matter what type of career they are working toward.
Most health courses cover the nervous system, the senses, the reproductive system, and the immune system. However, this course teaches about these subjects and so much more!
Here are a few of things it delves into that really impressed me:
- The inestimable value of another human being
- Communication skills
- Courtesy for building good relationships
- Fresh, frozen, canned, and dry foods
- Food preservatives
- Color and flavor additives
- Choosing joy in Spiritual Life
- Preserving Contentment
These topics are VITAL for our teens to understand in order to lead healthy, balanced lives. And it’s obvious that the author of this course values the mind, body, and spirit of the student.
I love the fact that the textbook starts right out by telling students that they are designed by God:
What You Get With This Course
- Student Textbook – Includes most of the reading, On Your Own Questions, and sets up the projects your teen should complete throughout the course
- Student Notebook – Areas to take notes while reading the textbook, On Your Own Questions with space provided for answers, more details about projects, study guides, tests, a chart for recording grades, and a suggested daily schedule.
- Online Supplemental Info – As always, Apologia provides an online supplemental area which contains test solutions, study guide solutions, and all sorts of extra reading suggestions for each module. This is a great resource for whenever your teen is excited about a specific topic and he or she would like to learn even more.
- FREE E-Book – You may download a FREE activity e-book called Whole Health: God’s Design for Your Body, Mind, and Soul which contains extra information and activities to introduce your student to this study.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course is intended for teens and it does cover issues that may not be suitable for younger students. So be ready to discuss some of these topics with your student.
Using Apologia’s Health & Nutrition Course
One of my sons is extremely interested in nutrition and fitness right now and he was eager to dive into this course. He did request starting with Module 6 so that he could immediately learn about one of the topics that are of the most interest to him. Going through this course has already sparked a passion in him to learn even more about nutrition and sports medicine.
My other son is also going through the program and he is starting at the beginning and working his way through to the end.
I love that the projects the students complete during this course are geared toward letting them learn more about themselves and about the world around them. They aren’t just learning about esoteric things which have no meaning for their own life. The concepts and specific action steps they can take during this course will help them to make the best choices concerning their bodies, their minds, and their spirits.
I also appreciated how they focused on various health professions throughout the book to give students an idea of what types of careers they may want to pursue someday.
And they tackle difficult topics such as vaccinations, pornography, and gender identity from a godly perspective.
Here’s why Apologia’s Health and Nutrition course is a winner in my book:
- It’s interesting and very readable.
- It’s thorough but still accessible to teens.
- It’s a course that students can complete without needing a lot of parental involvement.