Our family enjoys spending time together. We love everything from watching movies, to reading books aloud, to listening to audio dramas, to having campfires in the backyard, to going on hikes in the woods, to exercising together. We basically just enjoy being with each other. And summertime is usually when we have even more time to hang out together than ever.
One of our favorite things to do as a family, however, is to play games. When we look at the calendar and find that we have a whole evening without anywhere to go, someone usually recommends picking a game for us to play.
Here are our 10 favorite games for family night:
1. Pictionary – My son, Sam absolutely loves this game. He enjoys drawing and laughing… so when he gets to combine both of those things, he’s on board with it for sure. We have the version with pencils and notepads but this new version with a whiteboard looks pretty cool!
2. Pandemic – This is one of our newer favorites. I enjoy playing cooperative games, where we all band together to try to try to beat the game. That’s exactly how it is when you play Pandemic. The object is to wipe out the diseases before they spread across the world. It sounds morbid but it’s really super fun!
3. Dominion – This game takes a little bit of concentration to learn… but once you have it down it’s super fun! It doesn’t take very long to play, either, so it’s a great one to play if you have someone with a shorter attention span in your family. Just figure it out first and then call them over to play! 😉 I sometimes watch the tutorials on BoardGameGeek.com so that it takes me less time to figure new games out.
4. 7 Wonders – This game is super fun and super fast. It doesn’t take incredibly long to pick up, either, so it’s another good one to play with those non-gamers in your family.
5. Battleship Express – My boys discovered this game when they were camping with my dad and my sister’s family. They ended up having so much fun playing it that as soon as they got home, my oldest son promptly asked if we could get it for our family. It’s a fun, short game.
6. Can’t Stop – This is a super fun game that I’ve had since I was a kid. Basically, you roll the dice and see who can get to the top of three of the twelve columns the quickest. Very easy rules allow even very young children to play. But this game is fun for all ages. And it’s so tempting to roll just one more time!
7. Clue – Here’s another one of my childhood favorites. If you haven’t tried playing this with your kids, be sure to give it a try. Super fun! I’m always Mrs. White.
8. Pit – This game is loud and fun and exciting. It’s a fun, hands-on way to teach your kids about being on the stock market exchange floor. This is a great game to play with energetic boys!
9. Risk – Yet another game from my childhood. What can I say?!? Sometimes the classics are the best. And what better way to spend the evening than with attempting world domination? LOL
10. Bonkers – You may not have heard of this game before since they aren’t making it anymore… but it looks like you can get it at a good price from vintage game dealers. This game is hilarious. It starts out a little bit slowly but within a very short time, it becomes fast paced and hilarious. Even young kids can play this game. Get ready to laugh as you’re moving back and forth on the board and racking up points!
Does your family enjoy playing games together? If so, what are some of your favorites? Please leave a comment below.
And be sure to check out the other great posts about How We Spend Family Time from other iHN bloggers at iHomeschool Network.