Overview: Wondering how to make money from home? Want to work around your family schedule? These opportunities provide FLEXIBLE HOURS and lots of earning potential!
Staying home to raise children is a noble task. It’s wonderful when moms are willing to give up their jobs, at least for a time, to stay home with their children rather than putting them in daycare. However, raising a family on a single income isn’t always possible. Sometimes moms need to find creative ways to make money on the side to help make ends meet. And sometimes they need an outlet where they can make friendships and have some time to pursue their own dreams.
Fortunately, with technology as it is, there are all sorts of ways that moms can stay home with their kids and still bring home a paycheck. More and more companies are allowing their employees to work from home, at least part of the time. But these jobs lack the flexibility to put family first, which is the whole reason many of us quit our jobs in the first place.
For the purposes of this post, I’m going to focus on five extremely flexible ways to make legitimate money from home while still being able to work around family stuff. Meaning you can set your own hours and they don’t have to be the same from week to week. These are also jobs where the kids can be around and you won’t have to try to find childcare for them to complete your job.
Here are 5 Ways to Make Money from Home with Extremely Flexible Hours:
1 – Start a Blog
One way to make money from home is to start a blog. Believe me, this isn’t the easiest way to make money and you won’t necessarily receive regular paychecks. But if you’re looking for an outlet for your writing and you have time to grow your audience, then you may want to look into this option. There are lots of ways to make money as a blogger.
- Advertising – Once your blog grows to a certain size, you can add advertising to your posts. Two companies which provide family-friendly ads and are good to work with are Ezoic and MediaVine.
- Write Reviews – There are lots of companies out there who are not only willing to give you their product for free to try it out but they will pay you to write about your experience as well.
- Affiliate Links – Bloggers often become affiliates for other companies such as Amazon and when they refer you to that company, they make a small commission for their efforts.
- Write Books and Sell Them – Again, this takes time. But once your blog has a solid following, there will be plenty of people who will want to read more of your thoughts. I publish my books through Amazon’s service called Kindle Direct Publishing.
- Create Courses – Similar to writing a book, there are lots of different platforms which will allow you to create video courses and sell them. I’ve created a course on Thinkific and I prefer that platform over another popular option called Teachable simply because you don’t have to pay a monthly fee to use their service. They take a percentage of every class you sell so if you aren’t selling much at first you won’t lose any money.
2 – Sell Books with Usborne Books and More
Another way to make money from home is to sell something. I’m a consultant for Usborne Books and More, which is a wonderful company to work with. There are so many wonderful things about becoming a consultant through this company.
- Usborne independent Consultants are paid to spread literacy, which is a worthy goal!
- Your commission is 25% and you get paid weekly with no minimum payout amount.
- You can run your business completely from home using Facebook and other online tools. In-home parties are still an option but are certainly not mandatory.
- Customers order their books online and they are shipped to them directly so you don’t have to be involved in that part of the business.
- Unlike many multi-level marketing companies, they don’t require you to carry an inventory or to sell a certain amount of books per month. To remain an active consultant, you need to sell at least one book a year.
- You receive a free e-commerce site as soon as you sign up so you can begin taking orders. The site is completely free for your first six months and after that, it’s only $8 a month.
Here’s a video by my director which tells you even more about some of the unique benefits of becoming an independent consultant for Usborne Books and More.
I can’t tell you the number of amazing women I’ve met by being a consultant for this company. And the people on my team are so generous with training and sharing ideas to help everyone become successful. And best of all, you work when you want to work! Want to learn more?
Fill out this form to ask me any questions or to get started!
3 – Become a Virtual Assistant
Did you know that large bloggers don’t write many of their own posts? Or make their own printables? Or come up with their own ideas? Often, they also pay other people to run their social media and answer their emails as well. Virtual assistants do these tasks for them.
These days, you don’t have to be the busy corporate assistant you see in old movies or on TV. You can work right from your couch. What skills do you have? How could you help free up time for someone else to do more of the things they enjoy? There are all sorts of places where you can find this type of work. Here are some places to start looking.
4 – Sell Your Creations on Etsy
In the past, if you were crafty and you wanted to sell your creations, you needed to sit at craft shows every weekend. But listing these items on Etsy makes it so that you can sell these items much more easily and to people all across the country. You will have to come up with the ideas, make them, create listings for them, market them, and package and ship them. But this can all be done working around your family’s schedule.
5 – Sell Your Stuff
Did you know that Amazon will pay you for your old cellphones? Computers? Video Games? It’s called Amazon Trade-In and it’s a great way to generate Amazon credit in a hurry. And it’s simple! You enter the item you want to trade in and its condition via the Amazon Trade-in site. Amazon will email you a FREE shipping label. Once they receive your item, they will verify its condition and post a credit to your Amazon account. You can use this to purchase anything they sell… which is practically everything!
This technique will help you generate some money here and there as it’s needed but probably won’t be a steady stream of income unless you have a bunch of stuff lying around your house.
As you can see, there are all sorts of flexible ways to make money from home which allow you to set your own hours and come up with your unique income goals. It does take time and effort to make money these ways, just as it would if you were working for someone else. But having the ability to put your family first and still help out financially is priceless.
Do you have other suggestions on how to make money from home? Please leave a comment below!