Reading great books is an excellent way for our kids to learn about history! And most homeschooling families read lots of books. We are the ones who max out our library cards from the time our children are toddlers. We read books aloud to our kids even after they are towering over us. And we send our kids off with book after book.
But if we’re honest, we know that all books are not created equal. And with the vast number of books our kids are reading, there’s no way we can read them all beforehand. We definitely benefit from having a great guide in hand. And that’s where Beautiful Feet Books comes in.
Our family has been reading Beautiful Feet Books this year to learn about Modern American & World History and we’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I was given the opportunity to try Beautiful Feet for free and I was compensated for my time but I promise that I’m sharing my honest opinion with you. And later in this post, I will tell you how your family can win a $100 credit for some Beautiful Feet books!
What You Get With Beautiful Feet Literature Packs
Beautiful Feet has been helping parents teach their kids about history for over 30 years! Their programs contain lots of amazing literature selections for whichever time period you have chosen to study.
They also include a guide which contains the following:
- A suggested order for when to read each book in that literature pack
- Comprehension questions for each day’s reading selection
- An answer key for the above questions
- Vocabulary words your child will need to know for that reading selection
- Suggestions for supplemental books and websites which can optionally be used in conjunction with their program
- Access to a downloadable packet of pictures and maps that students can use if you would like to have them create a notebook or lapbook about what they’re learning
Beautiful Feet’s Modern American and World History program is geared for 5th through 8th grade but the books are such that I think it’s appropriate for older kids as well. Below is a video of me initially opening up our box.
As you can see, there’s quite a range of books inside this literature pack. We haven’t read all of the books, yet, but we’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ones we have read. The time period covered with this study is the Civil War through modern day.
Boys will especially be drawn to this time period because it has been a turbulent time in history. This period of time includes the Civil War, two global wars, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, and the War on Terror making it especially interesting to our sons.
This literature pack covers these wars as well as influential people of the time such as Teddy Roosevelt, Jackie Robinson, The Wright Brothers, Ronald Reagan, and more.
What’s So Special About Beautiful Feet?
- Christian Worldview – I love that I can be confident in the books recommended by Beautiful Feet. With so much misinformation and revisionist history out there, it gives me peace of mind to know that these books aren’t going to fill my boys’ minds with concepts that are contrary to our family’s faith.
- Living Books – The Beautiful Feet selections are a mixture of historical fiction and non-fiction, but they are all living books in the Charlotte Mason tradition. This means that they are either written by someone with a passion for the material or by someone who has experienced the story first hand. In the back of one of the book selections called Across Five Aprils, the author talks about how her grandfather’s stories of living through the Civil War were her inspiration for writing the book.
View this post on Instagram
Has anyone else read this book? Wow! Absolutely loving it so far. It gives such a unique look into the lives of people who lived through the Civil War. I'm loving it!!! It's part of the @beautifulfeetbooks Modern American and World History literature pack. #acrossfiveaprils #irenehunt #civilwar #unitstudy #homeschoollife #sponsored
- Parental Guidance – In the autobiography Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, the author does not shy away from talking about the brutality of slavery. I appreciated that the parent guide suggested which sections of the book to read and which to skip. Because my sons are older, we chose to read the entire book. But it’s good for parents to receive a heads up about the material so that they can make those decisions for themselves.
- Little Planning Necessary – I also loved how the lessons are all laid out for me. The parent guide makes it easy to do the reading and ask the questions without needing to spend lots of time preparing in advance.
- Flexibility – Beautiful Feet offers lots of book suggestions, comprehension questions, and activities which will help your child to better understand the material making it easy for parents to pick and choose what works best for our unique families.
We’ve been reading the Beautiful Feet books together this past year. I’ve enjoyed using them as our read aloud selections while my boys eat breakfast. I find that spending this time together each morning is a great way for us to connect and to get our day started in the right way.
View this post on Instagram
My boys and I have been enjoying reading aloud first thing in the morning as we read through the Modern American and World History literature pack by @beautifulfeetbooks. Such a great way to start the day. My boys eat their breakfast while I read. Books and food – such a great combo. #thisiswhathomeschoollookslike #homeschoolboys #homeschoollife #beautifulfeet
Purchasing Beautiful Feet Books and Resources
Beautiful Feet books can be purchased one by one or in a complete literature pack which is meant to provide enough reading to last for the entire year. Depending on how you choose to use the program, I could even see using one full literature pack over the course of a couple of years.
They have literature packs and book suggestions available for grades K-12. To see all of the options which are available, request a copy of their FREE catalog.
I love the flexibility of Beautiful Feet. You may decide to purchase the entire literature pack at once or you can pick and choose one or two books at a time. The choice is yours!
A Chance to Win $100 Off!
Beautiful Feet is generously giving a $100 credit toward their books to one lucky winner. Be sure to enter below for your chance to win!